Saturday 10 December 2011

First Servicing of My Toyota Harrier 240G

 

I bought my Toyota Harrier 240G together with an ease-of-mind warranty package premium. What that means is that there is a 1-year (or up till 90,000 km mileage, whichever comes earlier) engine and gearbox warranty with the purchase. I was informed that I could do the first servicing (basic oil change, oil filter change, etc) at a mechanic of my choice after I have clocked an additional 2,000 km on the odometer.



And guess what, because it has been a nice SUV to drive, I have been mainly driving the Harrier pursuant to purchase; and a few days short of a month of ownership, I have clocked the necessary 2,000 km mileage.

Time to service the Black Bison then- but where should I service the SUV? I tried asking around and googling for additional information (since the Toyota authorised service centres do not service recond cars) and 2 places seemed to be on most owners' lips :


1) Tom's @ Bangsar (No. 80, Jalan Maarof, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Bangsar; 03-2284 5288); and

2) Toyota CBU @ Kajang (No. 2 - 6, Jalan Ria 4, Kawasan Perindustrian Ria, Batu 18 Off Jalan Semenyih, 43000 Kajang, Selangor; 03-8737 5178).



Since my Company has a fleet of Toyota Land Cruiser, Alphard and Veilfire, I checked with the drivers on the place that they send the company cars for servicing and was informed that they have been sending to Toyota CBU. This company actually has 2 service centres- one that services the CKD Toyota (otherwise known as Toyota authorised service centres) and another that services the CBU Toyota (our recond Toyota Wish, Estima, Harrier, Alphard and Veilfire).

Caption : Example of how scan is done at Toyota service centres
Made a booking for servicing and was pleasantly surprised that they operate exactly like a Toyota authorised service centre. They also have the actual Toyota diagnostic examiner and can scan your Toyota CBU to gauge its general health and well-being. The scan would cost RM90 and it is a good idea to send your intended purchase there for a 10-minute scan before plonking down your deposit.

Anyway, the very friendly CSR officer, Ms Siow recommended that I authorise a scan as it was my first servicing; and the scan results revealed that my Black Bison was generally in excellent condition except for an issue with the brake systems.


Now I noticed that the ABS and handbrake light occassionally lit up and previously asked the car dealer; but was informed that it was normal for CBU cars to have symptons like that.


Ms Siau informed me that they have seen many CBU Harrier with such conditions, and a new fuel pump and ABS calibration would solve the matter for good. Cost of that repair would be RM2,320.

As for the general car servicing where the engine oil, filter, spark plug and the likes were changed, that cost RM650. Note that all items used were genuine Toyota and the oil was fully synthetic and good for 10,000 km.


There you have it- the first servicing for the Black Bison to have it in pristine condition again would be in the region of RM3,000.

 
The good news was that the scan showed that my SUV was an almost perfect example of a Premium-L Toyota Harrier.

The less-good news was that the brake system required a costly repair, which the car dealer would not pick up the tab as "it's not in the engine and gear box warranty".

Oh well...

Ps : Tell Ms Siau that you were recommended by Andy, and you may just get a discount too! :) Good luck there...



8 comments:

  1. Harrier 300G Owner11 December 2011 at 13:01

    Thanks for the good review. It looks like I will be calling Toyota CBU to book an appointment too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which car dealer did you buy from? I'm interested in the Toyota Harrier 240G and seen a few cars. The 2004 was quoted around RM150k while 2009 around RM180k. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell Ms Siau that you're recommending me as a friend to do servicing there? If known party, maybe she'll give me better pricing. Been servicing my 240G at regular mechanics and seem that your oil servicing is only slightly more expensive and genuine Toyota products some more :o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you working for Toyota CBU?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toms' the best. Go to Toms and you'll see why. Toms can make Harriers much more luxurious and powerful than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I service at Toyota CBU also. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please service all your Toyota at the best service centre in KL :

    Tom's @ Bangsar (No. 80, Jalan Maarof, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Bangsar; 03-2284 5288)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Britain, we do lots of these maintenance works ourselves as the labour charges could be quite atrocious. You guys are lucky over there in Malaysia.

    Btw, do your vehicles have to pass the MOT on an annual basis like in Britain? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete